Friday, September 14, 2012

Sunset

I saw a beautiful sunset this evening. It wasn't your average beauty. I stared at it for a long time because it was so complex. The longer I looked, the more colors I saw. I felt like an artist. I actually saw green in the sunset. It was faded in nicely between light blue and rust. (I hoped the rust color was't pollution, smoldering in the last glow of the day's light.) 

There was a swath of clouds that looked sponge painted gravel. Another section was a blur of purple and pink, the colors mixing in swirls and wide strokes. Now I think of finger painting, but at the time my mind was more digital--thinking the blur tool in Photoshop couldn't have done a better job. 

Words can't recreate the sunset, but you know what? Neither could a camera. Or a painting for that matter. At first, I wished I had some way to capture it, to save it for another time. 

Instead, I just enjoyed the sunset as it was...before it was gone.

1 comment:

  1. Must have been such a beautiful scenery!

    Thats funny cause sky colors were one of the first things I noticed back from New York in Auvergne. I guess the large field of vision is a little more incentive to look at the sky and contemplate it.

    you're right, no pictures/ paintings or anything could retranscribe the magic of the moment when we're in.


    ReplyDelete