Thursday, August 20, 2015

Good Food, Good Meat

Last week when I was looking at apartments I saw one near a university. I figured there'd be something cheap and yummy for lunch in the area. I stopped at a hole-in-the-wall type place with tables out front on the sidewalk. I ordered a cheese empanada. Now, if you think an empanada is like a Hot Pocket you're WRONG! Imagine the butteriest, flakiest, bestest croissant you've had, and then put cheese in the middle. Well, here's a picture but it doesn't do it justice, I promise.
Yesterday I went to happy hour with the other people in my work training. I had my first pisco sour, which is the Chilean national drink. It's delicious and strong, like a mojito. We had meat and cheese plates. The butter had herbs in it--so delicious I wanted to eat the whole pad of it, like a piece of thick cheese on bread. 
Today after training I went to the mall in the tallest building in South America. I was with a Chilean and an American. We went to a crepe restaurant. Remembering when my Spanish host dad called me out for it, I asked my Chilean friend if it's considered poor manners to cut your food with the edge of your fork. She said it's not, but like it Spain you shouldn't eat with one hand in your lap. My raspberry and caramel crepe was so good that I asked, joking but with a little hope, if it was socially acceptable to like your plate clean. It's not.


No comments:

Post a Comment