Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Pronouncing Names

Man, tonight I got sucked down the rabbit hole of watching BuzzFeed videos on YouTube. This one about Americans trying to pronouncing Latino names struck a cord with me. Today one of my students was named Claudia. It's so hard for me to pronounce this in the Spanish way because the a and u make a funky nice sound together.

I like the way Spanish speakers pronounce my name. When said with the strongest accent it sounds like yes-E-ka. It's sweet when they immediately shorten it to Jessie. It's like they don't time for the formal version and want to skip to being friends as soon as possible.

Another funny video is If Latinos Said the Stuff White People Say. Just let the channel run. It's hilarious.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Love these Favorite line in the first video "Oh the Z's silent?"

    If you haven't seen this one yet, it's a must-see…about the inner city substitute teacher taking roll call in a middle-class white science classroom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw

    ReplyDelete